A POST THAT WARRANTS A BIT OF CAPS LOCK

I get irritated with people that forget to turn off the caps lock. It's not that hard. It doesn't actually convey all that much, but just this once, it might help me express myself without resorting to foul language.

There was a beautiful article on CNN today about a mother and daughter who texted each other during the massacre at Utoya Island in Norway last weekend. It included a transcript of all their texts, which were gut-wrenching and terrifying. The girl and two friends had narrowly escaped by swimming out to some outcropped rocks and hiding behind them.

At one point, the girl texted: "I'm sorry if I've misbehaved with you and Dad, but it doesn't mean I don't love you." How many teenagers are able to get that level of insight, especially while friends and acquaintances are being gunned down?

It was a lovely, well-written article that put an incredibly touching face on this harrowing tragedy. I happened to scroll down into the comments for a moment and see many people who were similarly affected.

And yet, there was a comment so insensitive, so unrelated that I nearly screamed. I've been looking for the comment that came up, but I've yet to find it, so maybe someone with sense took it down. The gist of the comment was: "What do Timothy McVeigh [Oklahoma City bomber], Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold [Colombine HS shooters] and Anders Breivik have in common? They were all formula fed."

I apologize in advance for going all-caps, but here it is:

SERIOUSLY? THAT IS WHAT YOU GOT FROM THIS ARTICLE? YOU ARE GOING TO USE AN UPLIFTING, INSPIRING POST ABOUT A HORRIFIC TRAGEDY TO DEMEAN PEOPLE WHO CHOOSE TO FORMULA-FEED THEIR KIDS?!? BREASTFEEDING IS SO IMPORTANT TO YOU THAT YOU HAD TO MAKE THIS COMMENT ON A COMPLETELY UNRELATED ARTICLE. GGRAKJ;ALSERU K JSD;FLAKJFSLJ....

Sorry, but the rambling got incoherent after that. What I really wanted to do was reply with a list of people who were breastfed. I can't guarantee this, but I doubt the commenter on there could back theirs up either. Let's start with, oh: Hitler, Hannibal, Genghis Khan, Nero, Caligula, Pol Pot, ANYONE PRIOR TO THE INVENTION OF FORMULA IN THE 19th CENTURY. Sorry again, I got carried away.

Anyway, is this how badly people are trying to promote breastfeeding now? It's not impressive, helpful, or even real. I'm all for people feeding their children however they see fit or are able, so this really grinds my gears.

Comments

Popular Posts